Friday, February 27, 2009

Got any green to spare?

Usually when we go to Costco it is around lunchtime and the kids and I get hot dogs (who can beat a hot dog and soda for $1.50?). Last week as we got there, I realized I did not have any cash on me. I was searching my purse and change container but could only come up with $1.05. Allie was asking what I was doing so I was explaining that I did not have any money with me to buy her a hot dog, but we could get a treat inside and have lunch at home.

We got inside and I was going down the back isle (shortcut to the bread) and Allie asked what we where doing. I replied that we were going to get some food for our house. "What," she practically yelled, "but mom, you said we have no money." At this point the two ladies we are about to pass look up at me as my cheeks turn red. To paint a little better picture, I also had on my pants with a huge hole in the knee, Andrew had his pants on that are total high waters (seriously they are already 18 month pants and they are to short), and Allie had pulled her hair out and looked like a homeless child.

I started to shush her and tell her that I just did not have any cash, when of course she pipes up again, (as we pass another group of people) "Mom, I am so hungry and I want lunch. How are we going to get food if we have no money?" Oh, my heck, I was about to strangle the child. I LOUDLY (so the group we just passed could hear), explained that we had money but it was at the bank and I just did not have any cash on me and some places only take cash and not cards.


That seemed to convince her and I was able to divert her attention to the upcoming table of cinnamon bread. A little later we passed by a sample cart that had yogurt so I let each of the kids have one. Andrew ate his in 5 seconds flat and then turned to Allie and tried to get hers, which prompted her to start yelling, "Mom, this is mine! Would you feed Andrew some food so he won't take mine!" Now this in itself would not have been bad except for after I got the kids calmed down I looked up and there staring at me were the first two ladies that had overheard Allie as we walked in the store. I was not sure if they had a sad look on their faces because they thought we had no money or a mad look because they thought I was a bad mom who did not feed her kids enough. Either way I was a little red in the face. We quickly made a bee line for the check out and got the heck out of there.

So, now I have a $5 bill tucked safely in my wallet for any future Costco hot dog trips... and I am getting rid of my jeans with a hole in the knee.

5 comments:

Liz said...

That was hilarious!! I was waiting for you to say the ladies pulled out some money and gave it to you, or bought Allie a hotdog or something!

Becky said...

Too funny! Don't you just love when kids say embarrassing things loudly in public like, speaking of the grocery store checker standing right in front of us, "Is that a man or a woman?" or "Why is that person's hair blue?" Anyway, on a side note, at our Costco they have the bar codes for the items at the food court that they can scan in when you pay for your other items at the checkout. Then you just show the people at the food court your receipt.

Rebecca and Aaron said...

That is so funny! I thought you were going to say that she started asking people for change from what you put as your title. The real story was funnier, though. Gosh, the things I miss because my "kid" (the dog)can't talk. :)

betty said...

Great story...I can just picture the whole event! By the way...glad you now have an excuse to get rid of those jeans...you actually wore them in public??

Jessica L said...

Oh my... The only way to overcome the embarassment of loud, obnoxious children that talk WAY too much is to just laugh at them when they say silly things. That way the little old ladies walking by think that you are completely loopy from spending too much time with the children. Believe me. It works. At least once a day I get someone to say, "Wow! You definitely have your hands full!" I'd take pity any day of the week when I can blame it on my children as the reason for my insanity. But a small monetary donation would be nice occasionally too....