Thursday, June 4, 2009

Add it to my ER tab

I will start by saying that everything is okay.... so don't freak... okay?... seriously, don't freak... see, here she is smiling...
Allie had some friends over on Thursday and they were climbing the fence on our front porch. Somehow Allie fell backwards off of it (about a 2 1/2 foot drop) and landed right on her shoulders and back of her head. OUCH! It was right on the concrete and all of her weight was going backwards. It was a hard hard hit.
It took me about an hour to get her to stop screaming and the goose bump on her head was HUGE! I called the doctor and it took them about another hour to get back to me. By then, she had calmed down and had started to play again (but was still complaining and would stop every few minutes to sit down). The nurse recommended that I take her into the ER and I basically said that I did not think I was going to because she seemed so much better. About 30 seconds after I hung up, the phone rang again, this time it was the doctor and she said that I really should take Allie in.
So... Allie's friends left and I was going to wait until 5 pm for my mom and Aaron got home to decide what to do (it was about 3 pm at that time). Just by divine intervention, my dad stopped by to see the kids. I figured it was a sign, so I left Andrew with him and took her in. The doctor decided to do a CAT scan since the goose bump was so big and she was so tender. Let me tell you... it took 45 minutes and both Aaron and I holding her down to get her to do a CAT scan. We had to bribe her with anything she wanted from the candy store (which she totally took us up on... Hannah Montana suckers and all) and any movie that she wanted to rent.
About 30 minutes later the results were in... she has a skull fracture! It is small and it was a clean break so it will heal by itself... but it is still a skull fracture. There was no swelling on the brain so they let her go home. We had to go back this morning for a recheck and everything looked good so she just has to take it easy for a while.
It is seriously a good thing Aaron has such good insurance. In the last 6 months, between the two kids, we have seem Every doctor in the practice (there are 4 of them) and been to the ER twice. Maybe I should have gone to nursing school!
Hey Uncle Jon... hurry up and finish medical school and move back to California. The ER is getting expensive!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

oh my goodness! i am glad she is ok. sorry i missed you girls yesterday.

Erin Winters said...

That's "crack"alackin! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's like she knew what was coming! I'm glad she's okay. That would be so scary,

Liz said...

How scary! I'm glad she is ok!

Becky said...

Wow - what a day! I'm glad she's okay! Hannah was about Allie's age when she fell head first out of the back of Paul's truck onto the driveway. (Fortunately, she was wearing her bike helmet.) Head injuries are very scary!

Teresa said...

Nice Erin . . . totally Crackalackin!!