Saturday, April 4, 2009

Good Day/Bad Day

It is funny how a day can bounce back in forth between being a bad day and a good day. It usually depends on what happens last that dictates how I feel about the rest of the day. Thanks to this little beauty (see picture below) my day was pretty committed to the bad column, but luckily at the last moment I was pulled back to the light by some yogurt and a look.

We met up with Aaron at the church because they were doing a BBQ fundraiser for some summer trips the boys are taking. I volunteered to grab my dads food too and take it out to him since he was not feeling well. As I was walking to the car with Andrew and three trays of food, I hear Allie say, "uh oh, I went poop in my underwear." Are you kidding me?! I handed off the baby and food to Aaron and took Allie into the bathroom. (In Allie's defence, it was not really poop- just, well not to get TMI on you, but it really was an accident) Luckily, she had on some little footless tights that I had left on from dance class and a skirt so I took off the underwear, wrapped them in a paper towel, put back on the tights and skirt and off we went.


We ate dinner with my dad, played with the dog, said hello to the horses and traded cars with him so that I could start moving things into the new house. (oh, did I mention we are moving this week!) I was almost home before I realized that I had given my dad my key ring with the house key on it! It would have taken me 20 minutes to drive back out to his house or 15 minutes to get to Aaron so I decided to just go home and play in the back yard until Aaron got home. That idea was going fine until Allie had to go to the bathroom again (luckily it was just #1). Since I really had no other choice (I don't know any of our neighbors- how sad is that) I had her squat in the corner and go. It was going fine until mid way through when Andrew made a lunge at her (I had been holding him back with one hand and helping Allie with the other hand) and practically knocked both of us over into the puddle of pee. The only fatality was the skirt which ended up with pee all over it. So, we are now minus underwear, skirt and still locked out of the house and it is getting cold... and dark. I had the kids get back into the truck and we played in there for about 15 minutes until we all started to get cabin fever and two of the three of us were crying. In a moment of brilliance I realized that I had stuffed Allie's leotard from dance class in my purse. I put that back on her so she was at least mostly covered and buckled the crying kids in and headed to the only spot I could think of to bring me peace... the yogurt shop. Just as we finished our yummy yogurt topped with cookie dough, Aaron called to say he was almost home to rescue us.


The one redeeming thing that happened and helped swing my day back into the good column was when we were eating our yogurt and another little girl fell and scraped her knee and proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs. The dad had come in and asked for some wet paper towels and the guy behind the counter grabbed the filthy dish towel, complete with sticky spilled yogurt on it and says, "How bout this?" Of course being a dad he took the thing and walked back out to his wife. Since I am always prepared for anything (the preceding three hours excluded) I walked out to the mom and offered her some wipes, band aides and neosporin. I love the look this mom gave me. It was as if I was the best mother she had ever seen. I could have admitted that my three year old had not only pooped but peed on herself that day and that for the past hour and a half I had been wiping my 16 month olds snotty nose on his sweat shirt since I had run out of tissues, but I just smiled as if to say, 'it's okay, keep trying, someday you will be as good of a mom as me' and then we headed home to give my poor filthy children a bath and send me to bed early.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

i am sorry to laugh but just thinking about those situations put a smile on my face. being a mother is great:) let me know if you need help this week, watching kids, helping move furniture, etc.

The King Crew said...

That is a hilarious description of your day! What a trooper - you all were!

Let me know too if you need any help with anything this week!

KDThompson said...

Joni, you are a very funny mom. I am at work so I have to get back and stop reading your blog, but I have enjoyed reading and laughing along with your adventures with your family. Thanks for the fun! xxoo