Have I mentioned we went to Florida this summer? Aaron's sister Becky and her family moved there last year so we decided to make a trip of it and go see them. Being the trend setters we are, Aaron's two brothers and mom came out too making an impromptu Bennion family reunion. So here are my thoughts on Florida.... 1. It rained EVERYDAY! Not even kidding. We knew we had until about 1pm everyday and then downpour. We were there for two weeks and this was the pattern everyday. 2. Holy crap it is humid. If you are not wet because of the rain, you are wet because of the dang humidity. I gave up on my hair about day three. 3. There are bugs. and not bugs like in California, I mean like people have their whole back patios enclosed because of the bugs. It is crazy. 4. There are alligators. We saw one just chillin in the water while we were over by Cape Canaveral. (sorry no picture, it was....wait for it..... raining, so the camera was not out). Alligators are crazy. I will take a mountain lion or bear or big foot or what ever else we grow here in CA. Alligators scare me.
So... As I read that over I realize it is a bit pessimistic. Other than everything listed, we did have a lot of fun. All the little cousins got to hang out and I got to read a ton. I finished 5 books just in those two weeks. As we left, Aaron said that the next time we came it would be in November when the humidity and bugs are better!
The beach is always fun. We went a few times (once in Miami in the rain even) but the kids had a blast. The water is warmer than in CA so it was fun for all the moms and dads too.
This is our attempt at a cousins photo. We took about 10 and this is the best one. Don't these kids know we are trying to document their childhood!
Aaron set the goal to take the boys to every MLB park. Number one.... The Florida Marlins. We made it about 5 innings before we were ready to kill the kids. Hopefully by next summer when we hit the CA stadiums they will be a little more interested.
Gator World..... pretty cool place. It lived up to its name of lots of gators. The kids were bummed that they did not get to pet one but other than that they had fun seeing all the different size ones.
All the babies in a pen as we walked in.
Feeding the birds. Dylan almost killed on by trying to step on it.
The classic shot with the castle in the background. Notice that Dylan does not have shoes on? We got there at 7am for magic hours. He had them on as we entered the park. By the time we walked to the back of the park to the first ride (as per our carefully planned itinerary) one of them was gone. So by 7:15 am he had only one shoe. We went to buy him a pair of crocs or something but they were $42.00. I think not screamed my inner sense of cheapness. So we went the white trash route and let him walk around bare foot all day. That's right, we're classy like that.
Most days, the kids just had fun hanging out. We were the most nervous about Andrew and Matthew who fought like horrible a year ago when we were together for Christmas. This time? Awesomeness! (yep, that is a word) They did so well. Such a relief.
3 comments:
We had sooo much fun with you guys here this summer! I know the humidity takes getting used to, but I LOVE it for my skin (no more cracked heels and fingertips like in Utah!). I have a picture taken from our car of the giraffe, then your car, then the baby giraffe behind you guys -- I'll have to send it to you when my laptop is fixed. We are just heading into the perfect time of year around here. The weather is cooling down and in a couple of months, we'll again be enjoying the perfect Florida winter weather. Next time you visit, come for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Sounds like a fun trip! Your kids are getting so big!
It is sooo good to see some pictures of all of you. We miss you lots and enjoy any little bit of contact we can get! Thanks for letting me know when NOT to go to Florida...not that it is on our schedule for anytime soon!
Post a Comment